Modifier 76 Fact Sheet
- Repeat Procedure by the Same Physician; use when it is necessary to report repeat procedures performed on the same day.
- On procedure codes that cannot be quantity billed
- Report each service on a separate line, using a quantity of one and append 76 to the subsequent procedures
- The same physician performs the services
- Appending to a surgical procedure code
- Appending to each line of service
- Repeat services due to equipment or other technical failure
- For services repeated for quality control purposes
- Medicare considers two physicians, in the same group with the same specialty performing services on the same day as the same physician
- For all procedure codes that cannot be quantity billed, always use a quantity of "1"
- To avoid denials, bill all services performed on one day on the same claim
- For repeat clinical diagnostic laboratory tests, use modifier 91 if the service cannot be quantity billed
- Indicate in the electronic narrative record or Box 19 of the CMS 1500 claim form, the total number of services performed that day
A second radiology service performed on the same day.
Two subsequent services, with no original service.
Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 26-Nov-2014 12:30:20 CST