Modifier 47 Fact Sheet
- Anesthesia by surgeon: Regional or general anesthesia provided by the surgeon may be reported by adding modifier 47 to the basic service. (This does not include local anesthesia.)
NOTE: Modifier 47 would not be used as a modifier for the Anesthesia procedures.
- Modifier 47 is used to report anesthesia by the attending or assistant surgeon.
- Use of this modifier by the anesthesiologist is not permitted.
- Appending this modifier to CPT codes 00100 through 01999 Anesthesia Codes
- Use of this modifier for local anesthesia
- Do not use this modifier if the surgeon is monitoring general anesthesia performed by an anesthesiologist, CRNA, resident, or intern.
- Do not append modifier 47 to the CPT code when the surgeon administers the regional or general anesthesia. This service is not covered by Medicare.
- Do not report modifier 47 with a surgical procedure code when the surgeon provides moderate sedation.
- Surgery services/procedures
- If the same physician performs anesthesia and surgery, the anesthesia is considered inclusive with the surgery. No separate or additional benefit is available for the anesthesia.
- This is considered an informational only modifier.
Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 26-Nov-2014 12:30:20 CST